Tuesday, September 22, 2009

NO! NOT AGAIN!


I was greeted by this beauty of a letter the other day. After I submit it, it is only a matter of time for the summons to come. ARGGG! Anyone have any good ideas on how to get out of jury duty?

I served as a juror almost six years ago, very shortly after moving to Milwaukee. Alex was barely two. She referred to it as "duty duty." And, hence it has been named in our home. The dreaded "duty duty." I didn't know anyone well at that time, let alone well enough to hoist my busy toddler on. A big thanks to Janelle, Trudy, Mary, and Laura for taking care of her. The average case in the county trials are typically two days, but naturally, the case that I was assigned to took all week! Parking was a disaster, finding my way to the actual courtroom was challenging, the weather was awful. Overall, one of the worst experiences of my life.

To the judicial system, this letter is a reminder of my civic duty and opportunity. To me, it is an hour long train ride into the city at 7 a.m., a cab ride, a terrible feeling of disorientation to find exactly where I need to go, a burden on a friend or five to watch two kids (one of whom will need a nap, but more than likely won't because he's not at home), at 3:00 add one more kid, ride arrangements to and from preschool, ballet, piano, and soccer for "a two week period." I consider it a perk for felons to not have to endure this.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

I think you can appeal it as a primary care provider for your children. I did that while in Milwaukee and so far so good. On the other hand, I just had a 9 month pregnant friend in NYC serve on jury duty--asking a friend to watch her kid, taking the metro, and then walking, oh, and then sitting most of the day to see if their trial came up. Thank your lucky stars that at least it's not New York.

Karen said...

Never had to do jury duty. I wonder why that is....

Laurie said...

I've been summoned twice this summer! I got out of it due to a scheduled vacation the first time, the second time I said I'd report but my number didn't get called.
Here's the kicker tho: if it's not sent registered mail (and they're not in Oregon), there's no way they can guarantee you received a summons so you can actually just ignore it! Same thing for this thing qualification questionnaire? You can pretend it doesn't exist if you didn't receive it registered mail.

Adam and Nikki Johnson said...

if you can't get out of it by saying you're a stay-at-home mom with little ones, I'd be happy to help watch your kids for you.

Arfmann Family said...

Linds
Funny about the jury duty. I have also been summoned to Idaho Jury Duty twice since I've moved to Arizona. What a pain!!